ArcGIS upgrade for 2017
The time has come to move on from the current version of ArcGIS to ArcGIS 10.4.1There is no cause for alarm however ;)
We have survived many an ArcGIS upgrade before!
ArcGIS users, read on for details about how this shall all unfold….
ArcGIS will be upgraded in the labs first, so:
- Access in Building 17 will be determined by whatever schedule IMTS has in place for preparing those labs for 2017 teaching.
- The Spatial Teaching Lab (43.G06) is unavailable for use from now until the start of Autumn teaching in 2017.
- The Toni O’Neill Spatial Research Lab will be migrating in an orderly fashion over January and I will liaise with the January users to ensure minimal disruption to their research work.
Then it gets a little trickier, but only a little.
We will begin upgrading the individual staff computers from February:
- If you are a laptop user, contact me via the usual channels.
Instead of just relicencing your ArcGIS this year you will have the option of getting your software upgraded to version 10.4.1.
Please remember that this will take longer than the relicencing process alone!
- If you are a desktop user, you will probably not see a licence time out warning.
You have more flexibility about the timing of your ArcGIS upgrade and will need to contact me when it best suits you to have your machine upgraded. Please do not choose a time when everyone will be super-busy (like the start of teaching, for instance…), if you can possibly avoid it.
- For those of you who wish to stay on your current version of ArcGIS, if you are the only user of the computer involved this is fine. If not, then I guess you may have some negotiating to do… If all the users agree, then I do too.
I will keep one of the TOL computers running the current version of ArcGIS, as I always do. The current ArcGIS 10.0 computer will be upgraded to 10.4.1 as version 10.0 is now deprecated.
As always, if any of this causes you concern – you know how to find me!
I am always happy to help resolve any concerns or issues 🙂